Monday, August 23, 2010

Where do you go for advice on your puppy/dog?

When something concerns you, like food issues, health issues, or behavior issues, who do you turn to? What about something ';small'; like when and how many treats, or what is the best dog shampoo? Do you always turn to the same person/people? Or are there different places for different types of questions?Where do you go for advice on your puppy/dog?
I have a network of breeders, vets, trainers and groomers, plus some people that are active in rescue, so I have lots of resources if I have a problem.Where do you go for advice on your puppy/dog?
Since I've been breeding Chihuahuas for quite a while and own ten of my own now, I already know alot of these things through experience, research, and my vet. My vet and I have become very close friends, since she's been caring for all my dogs. If I don't know the answer to certain things, then I discuss it with her!
Medical issues I talk to my vet. If that doesnt sit right with me I get a second opinion. I have several friends that have MUCH more experience than I do. I will talk to them, ask questions (I dont care if I sound stupid or not. After all this is about what's best for my dogs, right?) I read, look things up on the computer and see what's available. I dont just jump on any NEW thing. I look for advice and training from those I've learned to trust.
I go to peteducation.com when I need info health issues (like when my puppy is sick and I look up the symptoms).
i usually ask a vet, or the vet tech. small issues i ask other friends and family that i know own animals and i go by my gut instinct after that.
I get many daily emails from different groups i signed up with. Happy Healthy Dogs with Dr John, Dogster.com, ASPCA, Animal Protection Institute and for dog food I always go to the website The Dog Food Project. They are all very informative and I enjoy being a member of all of them.. They always have updates especially during the dog food crisis. I also go to an all natural pet store in my area and the owner knows so much about dogs and care. If she does not know she always has good websites.
I work in rescue so I have a very good relationship with our vet as well as other rescuers and breeders. I even have our vet's home number in case a bad case comes into resuce.


I have met so many wonderful people over the years that I now have a wonderful network of people to chat about my dogs with. I have also met some great people here!
I search on the internet a lot, but I also have sources locally to contact. Veterinarians are an excellent source of information if you have a good vet. If you ask your vet about behavior issues, food issues, health issues, etc. and they seem unwilling to talk about it unless you have a serious problem they can treat, then you have the wrong vet and need to find another.





I like watching animal planet and other shows like Cesar Milan's ';The dog whisperer'; as well. It's VERY good to watch if your dog has behavior issues. Of course, it's important to realize that you are responsible for those issues, not the dog.





I got a ';Purina puppy care'; folder containing all sorts of information when I bought my purebred chihuahua. It had a book which told you how much to feed, how to do obedience training, how to housebreak, how to play with, and how to care for a puppy. Also, if you bought your puppy from a breeder that cares enough to include such a packet, chances are they know a bit about dogs and would be willing to help with any questions or concerns as well. Mine gave me his number and told me to call if I had any problems or questions.





In order of what I feel is the best information, from best to worst places to get it:





1. Veterinarian


2. publications


3. Internet searches


4. dog breeders


5. television


6. other dog owners
My vet for medical things and I have two vets if i need a second opinion I will get one.


I have a good friend who is a breeder and shows dogs so if it is grooming general type thing I would ask her. She is very good at it and has many show champions so she knows her stuff.


I train but work with other trainers and we all get together and talk about some of our tougher dogs we are working with and bounce ideas off each other. It helps to have an outside opinion at times. Also you get some great tips and tricks to fix little things that you might never have thought of. Also one person I know runs a no kill shelter and she is of great help with dogs who have been in shelters and getting them to adjust to a new home.
If it medical I ask my vet. If it's something I don't understand about my breed I ask their breeder. If it's behavior then I'll ask some people who have been training dogs for a long time.


If it's something I can look up on the internet than I will do that too but not take is as the gospil.


There are some people here that I would not hesitate to e-mail and ask for an opinion.


If it's small I used my common sence! If I screw up then I have learned something and remember not to do it again.
My vet if it is a general question that I am certain he will know about.





If it is a more specific question about one certain breed or topic, I will ask for information from someone familiar with that breed or topic. I know a retired Vet who has really precise ideas about food, so I will ask her about food. If it is a dog, legal question, I will ask the code officer who comes into the clinic. I guess it just depends on the specific topic of concern.





----------------------------


edit-- I think you should add the detail who wouldn't you ask. Now that list would be longer.
me or the vet here are some other options


1. other dog owners


2.books


3.videos/television try to calm your dog and give it treats play outside with it and clean it . its behavior and health should improve
Professional Retriever Trainers Association


http://www.prta.net/





Also have a network of breeders.





You will find that there is a network of pros for any dog discipline.
If it's something small like shampoo or a good toy, or things like 'how to clip the dogs nails' I generally ask my boyfriends sister, she has 2 dogs. However if it's something more major and health wise, I ask my vet.
For medical advice, I ask the vet. When it comes to training and suggestions of treats to use, I talk to my training instructors and fellow members of the Obedience club. I sometimes will ask a variety of people, depending on the question as I prefer to have a few things in mind, before making a decision on what works best for me and my pet.
You have been asking great questions lately.....on a quest to educate people here. I surely hope they listen!





As I have bred, trained and shown dogs since about 1965, I know a LOT...but am smart enough to realize I do not know it all....but even better than what I know, is the fact that I know of TONS of resources to get info I want, and I am not lazy to hesitate searching the www for good sites!





BUT....I am going to try to go back in time....when I was a Novice dog person...before the www





For general info on dogs I went to the library. For medical and health I asked my vet, or called other vets.





I took dog training classes with the family mixed breed ( I was in 7th grade) from an obedience club...the members/trainers had been ';in dogs'; for decades! The most VALUABLE info I got was from these dog trainers, and my mentor, the breeder whom I got my 1st purebred from. She gave me all the info I needed when I got the pup...I could call her at any time....I went to her place later when my puppy actually grew hair and she taught me how to properly groom the dog, train the ears (it was a sheltie)...





as I got more involved, I talked to diffferent breeders, bought books, subscribed to the Sheltie magazine.....





Decades later, after I depleted my kennel, my 10 year old daughter was introduced to agility by a lady we had befriended while my daughter was doing obedience with her dog. I became infatuated with agility, and I spent 2 years taking my daughter to agility classes and trials and watching and learning. Asked questions of our friend, trainers, and others, got the rule books....subscribed to an agility magazine. Then got a pup, and began our agility journey.








so....different people, different places
you can go to different sites on the net ,which give good info.Or you can call a vet in regards to questions such as feeding and treats shampoo, petshops ,
Depends on what it is.. I research everything to death, then I go to dog friends, if it's something I don't think is serious.. If it's something I think is a problem, then I go to the vet.
If they are health related issue I will definitely call my vet for help. But if they are something small, I would usually ask family members or co-workers that have dogs for their advise because they usually have similar experience. Or sometimes I would type in my question in search engines and see whats shows up.
For health and behavior issues, my vet. For behavior issues, my trainer.





I already have a favorite shampoo and a favorite brand of dog food. (I'm old)





I belong to several groups, so if an odd question pops up I'll post and ask and decide from the answers.
  • nail polish
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment