Monday, August 23, 2010

I am trying to make some homemade jelly and need some advice from someone who has done this before...?

my grammy and i used to do this together and now i am trying to carry the tradition with my niece..





i got juices that said ';unsweetened'; and another said ';no sugar added';


do I need to still add the sugar to the recipe for the no sugar added juices?


and do you have any tips to help with my lil adventure.. i have no memory of how to do this and just going by the packaging and would really like to get some expert advice.





thanks in advanced.I am trying to make some homemade jelly and need some advice from someone who has done this before...?
try these sites:





http://hgic.clemson.edu/factsheets/HGIC3鈥?/a>





http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can7_jam_je鈥?/a>





http://www.extension.umn.edu/distributio鈥?/a>





These will provide plenty of information on jelly making. I used to make it with my mom, it's great you want to revive this tradition, your niece will treasure the time spent with you.I am trying to make some homemade jelly and need some advice from someone who has done this before...?
Hi there, it's always nice to continue a family tradition like this, since most of the people have already forgotten how.





I think no sugar added juice will still have some sweetness due to the nature of the fruits. But if any of your nieces have a sweet tooth, than you'd better add in some sugar.





The general process is just to simmer the juice (not boil!) until it's nice and hot, then add in gelatin powder. Usually there's direction on the package about the ratio of water to gelatin. After the gelatin is completely dissolved, pour into container and chill.





Tips, if you feel that your jelly is too liquid like, or won't solidify, just reheat and melt the jelly, and add in more gelatin. Then re-cool it. Works every time, it won't affect the flavors and stuff.





Cheers~
You will probably be using pectin to make the jelly set. It tells you how to make jams and jellies on the instruction sheet in the box. But I am pretty sure you will need to add sugar of your own to it. I know when I made it I did. And I just used the juice from fresh berries. Juice is juice.
I wouldn't add sugar if the person is diabetic, but for anyone else add sugar.
Are you using certo or suregel?


Years ago I used jello.


If certo or suregel, go by the directions that come with it.


Are you making jarred shelf jelly or freezer jelly?


I now make the freezer kind, alot simpler, %26amp; really good taste.





Jelly is sweet, so yes, I would say to add sugar.
(((Little Sister)))


*edit *





never mind her answer is gone..but so is her profile darn it she was gonna get it from me


.


I think you still have to add the sugar.


hope someone who know s for sure answers this
I have never made jelly from bottled juice before; only fresh fruit so did a search to see what I could find to help you. Wow! University of Minnesota Extension has all the information any of us could want!





http://www.extension.umn.edu/distributio鈥?/a>





Have fun making some great memories!
when you buy the surejel to make the jelly with, the package insert is full of information, recipes, tips and hints for sucess.
Did you get the pectin? That's what will make it jell...... There should be a little pamplet with different types of jelly recipes in there. Different fruits require different quantities of things ... and citric acid in some fruits may affect jelling... (Pectin may be hard to find, but it's usually near the canning/mason jars in the grocery store - you just have to hunt for it:)
My aunt used to make jelly and she would go by how sweet the juices were. She would only add sugar if there was a tart taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment