Monday, August 23, 2010

I am taking my dog camping for the first time any advice?

I have a doberman (hes 3 years old) we've never takin him camping with us. Does anyone have any tips?I am taking my dog camping for the first time any advice?
Just keep him on a leash I don't let my dog drink from the lake just in case of parvo. and I check him for ticks just like we do for the kids and ourselves. And I also bring there food, water bowls and there beds or pillows, and because my dogs are small I bring there sweaters also. Hope you have fun with your friends.I am taking my dog camping for the first time any advice?
Pay attention to the rules about pets wherever you are camping. Most campgrounds require that dogs be kept leashed or kenneled.





Don't let him bark constantly. There will probably be other people around who won't appreciate that at all.





Be careful about kids running up to ';pet the doggie';.





If you are going where there is a lot of wildlife, never let him off the leash. As it was explained to me in Yellowstone, a dog will run off down a trail, start barking at something really big and wild, decide he can't handle it, and lead it straight back to you!
I take a leash, tie out, dog bowls, dog food, water, flea spray (my dog is also on Frontline, but it doesn't hurt to have the spray on hand), and a dog bed. I throw the dog bed in the tent and that's where she sleeps. Also, I try to remember to bring her rawhide bone to chew on to keep her occupied. I tend to forget it and then she likes to find things to get into.
When I go camping with my dogs I bring


-Water


-Enough food, or a little extra for the stay


-Normal lead and backup lead in case something happens to the first


- Is your dog going in water? if so a towel is always good.


-Toys


- Dog bed


-Treats


- Dog coat if it is cold


- First aid kits are good as well as a book on dog health/ illness emergency's.





I think that's about it.
First off take your own water if you can. Some dogs just do better on their own routine, Make sure you use your own food also. Don't go out and buy another brand. Have your vets number with you, and if you are going a distance get a local vet number and call them and ask if they are available 24 hours, and if they are seeing new patients. That is a must...dogs tend to get into things they are not suppose to. Take his leashes and bowls...and a tie out, only if you are with him...do not leave him tied out..while you are off swimming or anything. Campgrounds have rules about dogs...so make he does not run loose. Also take a first aid kit for dogs to...they are not expensive and you can get on at your local pet store. Have his identification tags on him to just in case he might get lost with your phone number, vet.


Have a great time with your dog and hope this helps.
Bring twice as much water as you think you will need. Forget that if you are camping near water. If he is sleeping in a tent with you that should be it. Otherwise a stake-out would be a good idea so he doesn't run off chasing something in the middle of the night.
Some sort of tick and flea protection, make sure his shots are up to date and follow the leach laws were you are staying.

No comments:

Post a Comment