Monday, August 23, 2010

What's the WORST advice you've been given as a pregnant woman?

I know there are lots of ';old wives tales'; - some of which do actual harm.





Asking my other question sparked the idea, what's the worst thing that you were told to do or not do?





I remember someone telling my friend that she shouldn't take too long of a walk - which was kinda crazy as long as she's healthy enough to do it!





What have you heard?What's the WORST advice you've been given as a pregnant woman?
i heard so many while i was pregnant! some were just common sense to know they were wrong!





the ones i can remember off the top of my head...





i was told by my grandma not to take a bath while pregnant because germs could get in your ';girly parts'; (that's what she called them). i was told by my dr to take bathes (not too hot though) to help relax. of course this is the same woman who went nuts one night because she stayed with us for a couple of days while my grampa was gone on a camping trip. i sleep with my arms above my head. she flipped out and said the baby was going to get strangled by the umbilical cord.





my ex's grampa said something about us getting rid of my cat. i never really understood because it didn't make sense. something about stealing the air from the baby. perhaps someone knows what this means and can explain it please!What's the WORST advice you've been given as a pregnant woman?
Honey you will hear all kinds of advice and be given all kinds of advice. Your best advice is from yourself and your Doctor.


';Old Wives Tales';


1. Don't put your arms above your head, baby could be strained and fall out.


2. Don't touch your belly when faced with a horrible sight, might mark the baby.


3. Don't exercise, puts strain on the baby.


4. Don't do any pulling or stretching, tares the cord away from baby.


5. Don't take carnival rides, scrambles the baby's brain.


Those are just a few I can recall, non of which have any merit !!!!
This is more of a silly one actually. I never really got anything that would have led to harm coming to me or the baby...Anyway someone told me not to watch scary movies (I had just seen Saw) because it would traumatize the baby and lead to me having a baby that was afraid of everything. :) Yeah.
Not to take a bath because it will cause bacteria to go into your private parts - but swimming is ok? Makes no sense.





The other one is to purchase plus size clothing instead of maternity clothes - the maternity clothes are designed to accomodate a belly sicking out - plus size clothes are designed for women to get wider. Stick with the maternity clothes.
This comment was actually given after I had the baby. I ate a lot of salsa with my first child and was told if you eat spicy foods during the pregnancy, the child will be dark. And yes my oldest child is my darkest. My mother in law claims to have eaten a lot of kimchi during her first son's pregancy and he is the darkest.
Witrh my 3rd child i was ver ver sick with the ALL da sickness. And my doctor told me the best thing to do was to take the force miscarriage pill. Ofcourse i didnt and she is 7 yrs old now. But i was lik WOW!
Not to lift anything over your head because it can cause a miscarriage. That little beauty can from my grandma... gotta love her.
I was told not to ever lift anything over my head or else I would wrap the umbilical cord around the baby's neck!
don't stretch over your head, because it will wrap the baby's cord around it's neck.
i heard from an expert not to shave or wax legs.
to drink castrol oil to induce labor.
to drink castor oil to try and go into labor
The worst thing my friend was told to do was opt for an epidural when she wanted a natural birth she ended up with an emergency c section and nearly died!

No comments:

Post a Comment