Thursday, August 19, 2010

What was the Best Advice you rec'd from a teacher that felt you had potential for the future?

It doen't matter what grade level that you rec'd this advice, but that it has stuck with you throughout life.What was the Best Advice you rec'd from a teacher that felt you had potential for the future?
I was told to remember one word from one of my high school teachers that has stuck with me and has influenced my entire life and has paid dividends, not only monetary, but experience as well. That word was ';Education';. Learn as much as you can about as much as you can. It has made me a very versatile person in my career and my life in general.What was the Best Advice you rec'd from a teacher that felt you had potential for the future?
It all depends in you and how much desire you have to succeed in life.
Always wash your hands
No matter what, be yourself.
Mrs. McKnight, my junior English teacher, told me that no matter what I did in life, I would succeed because of the persistence in my heart.
The best advice is





';Always do your best, no matter what your best is'; ~ ';It does not matter if you come in first or last, as long as you know you tried your best'; ~ ';Never quit if you know you can do it';





My Grade 8 teacher always told the whole class this, he did not care if we won first place in track, got 100% on math tests ~ he was proud of us, as long as we did our best. The best 58% on a Math test I ever got ~ I was so happy I had passed and he was happy that I had worked hard to get that grade.
Ironically, ';Don't ever be a teacher.';





I had always wanted to be, but the teacher that I repected most always told us to never go into teaching because you would be over worked, underpaid, over stressed, and underappreciated.





I still want to be a teacher, but because of his advice, I have never done it.
To take a speed typing course during my summer vacation. That way I would be able to type quickly and accurately. And if by some fluke my degree didn't get me anywhere I would already have good secretarial skills. I did it, and never regretted it.
One of my first college instructors left me a note in my final project encouraging me to continue pursuing my ';art experiments'; because she thought I was talented.





That early advice gave me permission to pursue the career I wanted, and find the right people to network with. Her permission slip left the door open, through which I found the college I'm at now. Antioch Seattle has a completely different approach to learning. I've formed a degree committee who will guide me through my study options and evaluate my work. Instead of grades, I'm documenting my progress and mastery of the material through writing and art for a dual concentration in art with social justice. Good teachers are soo important to a persons' success!
Try to find one the thing in everybody you meet that made them successful , even if you hate them and learn it.
Know your worth and don't settle for less!
My fifth grade teacher told me more than once that learning is a life experience-as long as I was willing to learn,I would be successful.
Join the debate team in high school
I received my first ';F'; ever in 12th grade English Lit....Even though I loved the subject, I just was **cking off and not doing the work...My teacher called me in and told me that if I didn't get serious I was going to fail my senior year...I knew that I wasn't a failure at anything so I bucked up and showed her...I graduated with a 4.0 in my last grading period...it wasn't really advice, but it startled me enough to be serious about anything i do now in life
The best advice I ever received from a teacher was to trust your first answer. When you're a kid that mostly means not changing the answers on your multiple-choice test sheet at the last second when you're not sure. However, as an adult that lesson translates to trusting your intuition and not bothering with second-guessing yourself. Your first answer is usually the best one, the most honest one, and the most intuitive one.
Always aim high, even if you know it might be out of your reach.
The Dean of my college, who was also a History Professor, once told me that ';a truly educated and well rounded person could talk to anyone anywhere';. He encouraged me to keep that in mind in everything I do. It's really cool when you think about, if you are a thoughtful and educated person you can talk to someone from a tiny trailer park in a tiny town or a world famous opera star and still feel comfortable, if you are willing. The beauty of it is that through talking to anyone, anywhere you become a better person .

No comments:

Post a Comment