Monday, August 23, 2010

Can you give me advice on what to tell my Insurance agent about my accident?

I was in a collision - I was making a left turn ( almost completed) and a guy in a work truck hit me.





I have a police report- and I'm sure my agent already has that so- what does she need to talk to me about?


They make their decision of who was at fault from the info on the police report don’t they?





I think that the guy who hit me was waiting to make a left turn ( facing north- I was facing south ) and he changed his mind because the car in front of him was taking too long- I think he got impatient and decided to go forward through the light and then he hit me- that - or he was speeding. I didn’t tell the officer because I was so upset. And I know after you give a statement you cant revise it.





Should I tell my agent this? If I do should I word it as a fact “ he changed lanes and hit me - he was speeding too.” or- should I say “ I think…he was changing lanes and…”


Does this matter? Is it like talking to a lawyer- do I need to be careful with my words? Is there anyway I can get this in my favor? I was calm and cooperative and I had all my information. He Didn’t have a license and after he hit me- I thought he was going to take off- he slowed his car down and peeked out the window and when I made eye contact he drove a little faster. Should I tell my agent this?





Any advice is appreciated.Can you give me advice on what to tell my Insurance agent about my accident?
READ THIS.





dhfman999 is 100% wrong. the police report has no bearing on liability for an accident. it is your adjuster's decision to make (or the court's, if it gets that far), and the only way a police report can affect his decision is if it shows irrefutable proof (usually via a third, unrelated party) that the accident is your fault.





beyond that, what everyone else has said is true. just tell the truth, and don't try to convince the adjuster that you're right. just present the facts of the accident as you see them, and if the accident happened in the way you see it, your adjuster will believe you and find in your favor. remember that it is an adjuster's job to protect you, so as long as you are truthful and the loss really isn't your fault, he has no reason to believe the other party over you.Can you give me advice on what to tell my Insurance agent about my accident?
just tell the truth
Just tell the truth
HOpefully you have an agent that you can talk to and ask why they need more info. I would think they want to see if your story stays the same. I think though that you could let him know that after you were calmer and thought more about what happened, you remembered other things. I would also think it would be better to say, ';it seemed like'; or ';he appeared to'; when talking about the speeding and lane changing if you're not sure.





Hope it works out ok for you.
I always say honesty is the best policy.
The police report is usually the final word on fault, not at fault. If a witness can make you not at fault, they must tell the cops. The insurance people don't care about anything but the official report.
well just tell the truth it will help u in the long run it always helps thats all i can say was it your fault?
Just answer all question true. You can tell him that he wanted to run , but he didn't, just be truth full sweetie
Reguardless if they have a police report on the accident and they are clamining that the other driver is at fault. They do a recoded statement for both you and the other driver and issue a claim. They will not let you get a rental car or start giving money for repairs until both of you have reported it!!!





Tell them exactly what you told us and you are fine.





I just had this happen to me on my Mazda 3 it was a 2006. I had it for 3 months and this kid totaled it by running into me. They wonldn't let the repairs start until they heard from him....





You will be fine relax!
mizred is right tell the truth. I'm sure it's the job of the agent to talk to you about what happened. You know procedure.
Definitely tell the truth as you perceived it. As for choosing your words carefully, if you say you knew for a 'fact' that he changed his mind that would say you sort of knew what was coming and were not driving defensively. Just tell it as you did above, sounds honest. I think they go by police reports anyway, because two individuals could go back and forth all day laying accusations. Its he said/she said.

No comments:

Post a Comment