Tuesday, November 22, 2011

What could be some reasons why a student refuses to make eye contact with me when she asks me for advice?

I taught a class today and there was a student who was very academic. She feels comfortable asking me for advice on how to deal with problems at school. When I give her advice she refuses to look at me when I speak but she thinks I give her good advice all the time and she appreciates it. She is not shy. She is outgoing.What could be some reasons why a student refuses to make eye contact with me when she asks me for advice?
Either she doesnt wish to appear to challenge your authority or territory, or is insecure about having to ask or deal with the problem she is asking you about.





But she appreciates it and maybe it took a lot of herself to have to ask it, how ever trivial it may seem to you.What could be some reasons why a student refuses to make eye contact with me when she asks me for advice?
could have a crush on you i think maybe,


if not, i would have said shy./ intimidated,


?? im not sure its a tricky one.
Some people don't make eye contact when they are trying to concentrate on what is being said. They want only to use their ears to make sure they understand. Sometimes when I have eye contact I am distracted by facial expressions or noticing something about the other person instead of fully listening.
Is it whenever you give her advice she behaves that way or was it just today? And when you say academic and today do you mean she does participate fully in class and answer your questions while looking directly at your eyeballs?





She could be naturally shy, or as she could be affected by the way she was brought up by her parents, or she may be having a different question that is hard to find words to put it across (personal difficult question to her). Well, there could be a millions things happening here, and only a one to one basis will help to give an honest evaluation. However, whenever even a shy child is serious and honest about something they will look straight into your eyes. hope it helps.
Could be a sign of respect depending on her religion or culture.......
Maybe she has to work at appearing confident. So when she asks you a question, she stops concentrating on appearing confident to listen to the information your giving her. I think she drops the facade to listen then picks it up again when your finished talking.
likely something thats been beaten out of her at home

No comments:

Post a Comment