Tuesday, November 22, 2011

I'm supposed to start waitressing tomorrow and I'm very nervous. Any advice?

I've always been nervous around people and I am now just coming out of my shell, I hope I make it. Any words of encouragement.I'm supposed to start waitressing tomorrow and I'm very nervous. Any advice?
Never pass a table that you aren't looking for something they may need..


If your guest has to ask for a drink refill, your failing to provide the best service that you should.


If there is some sort of combination platter that gives the customer a better value, suggest it, and show where they save, guests like that.


try to take your order in your head at the table, this takes practice but you'll get it, even if you have to go directly to your station to jot it down, it looks more professional...


I used to take a note pad and divide it like the seating at the table, such as a four top, make a criss cross line through it, denoting seat number 1, then jot down abbreviations for each persons items...NY mr = New York Strip Medium rare


BPL= Baked Potato Loaded.. etc..


up to four is usually easy, the test is can you do a 8 top?..


Practice makes perfect.


Nothing is more annoying than having your waiter/waitress trying to figure out where each entree and sides go to who, if you have to ask, then you need to improve your skills..


Everyone has to start somewhere, and don't panic if you make these mistakes, but once you develop a system, you should be able to handle all of your station and take extra tables when your fellow waiters/waitresses are in the weeds.


I used to clean up... I had tables all over the restaurant because I would pick up other tables from waiters who were over their head... and everyone used to watch in amazement as each one of them were taken care of.


Oh you'll get the table from hell, they'll try to take all of your attention, and be very demanding, if they are starting to make you neglect your other tables, let them sink, in other words they're not going to tip anything near what they should anyway, so why let them hurt your potential on other tables...let them sink...and keep up the pace on your other tables.


Some rare occasions there are people who come to complain, so let'em.. but don't let them ruin your earning potential on your other tables.


Know your menu inside and out, and go in 10 minutes earlier than you normally would so that you can study the specials of the day and know them well, and know how to describe them so that the diner is drooling by time your done.


If someone orders a steak well done, bite your tongue, I know...they should just go get a burger but some people have no clue as to how to eat some foods.





Drinks go on from the right and off from the right, food goes on the left and off from the right, table position deciding of course..


If your good, you won't believe the tips you'll make, I worked the years before you had to report a percentage of your sales, so I made fat, all tax free and 180-250 per night for turning only 8-12 tables was great money in 78-80 ... I made so much over the top that the other waiters and waitresses could just envy, busboys would fight over who would work my stations as I tipped not only a specific precentage of my tips, and I made out well so I tipped well, I always overtipped, as a good busboy can make you or break you...


It's a team effort, and as long as you share your wealth with the busboys, they'll do anything for you...


If you have more questions email me...


Good Luck...I'm supposed to start waitressing tomorrow and I'm very nervous. Any advice?
Eye contact with all the people at the table.





A smile is always welcomed.





Know what the best meal is at your restaurant....what most people order.





Eat at your restaurant...to know what is good.





Put the bill in the middle of the table.





You'll do great. And I hope you have wonderful customers who will make you laugh, and enjoy yourself.
Angelkins - most important is to relax, smile and be friendly. Rely on your training. You don't have to be perfect, so just smile and do your best.
The main advice I can give you is just try to stay relaxed cause once you do that it will all go well. Also remember to socialize with the customers a little
you seem very cute. don't wear a promise/wedding ring and hopefully the men will tip you well!

No comments:

Post a Comment