Tuesday, November 22, 2011

A learning disability students need some advice about going back to college?

I am 32 years old. I am thinking about going back to college to complete my associates degree. I have been out four years of college. What I need the advice about is the following.


Should I go back to the community college that I left or just transfer to a four year college that has a program and services for learning disability students?A learning disability students need some advice about going back to college?
If it make you feel any better, I also have a learning disability and I went back to college at the age of 35 after dropping out 5 years earlier. Now, almost at the age of 38, I not only earned my Associate's Degree where I graduated with a 3.82 but I started back this past August with the hopes of earning my Bachelor's Degree. Despite my learning disability, my academic standings have grabbed attention from schools such as the University of Virginia and Columbia.


In my honest opinion. I think that you should go back to the community college where you started at, earn you Associate's Degree, and transfer to a nice university that will accept your credits. The next part is totally up to you but I never once brought up the subject that I have a learning disability to any of my instuctors/ professors. In my opinion, the college does not need to know a person's disability status.A learning disability students need some advice about going back to college?
The community college my son attended provided unlimited tutors and extended test time. I would advise complete the AA degree t the community college first. Community college classes are smaller and you can get core courses out of the way. Also, my son benefited from the Associate's degree in that it eliminated the second language requirement when he transferred to the university.





Colleges are not required by law to provide any extra services for disabled students (other than building access) so if you find a four-year program at a place that offers services that is a plus.
the community collegve should have services for studnets with disabilities-if tehy don't theya re in violation of teh law





if you are talking about actaul classes-and you think you need that support-tehn go straight to the 4 year-





what kind of degree do you want-do you ultimately was a 4 year degree-or do you want to stop after your 2 year?





usually the general ed courses in a community college and 4 year state college are similar-





a univeristy may be more difficult
I honestly think that depends on what your goals are. YOu could easily finish up the associates, since that is what you already took, but if you truly want to go to a 4 year college, you should look into transferring what you already have and get started there. Any college has to have supports for LD students. Contact the schools you are interested in and find out what support you could get.





Good luck and good for you for going back!!!!
I would go back to the Community college seeing how you already have been there. Go talk to Services for Students with Disabilities or what every is like that at the school. That is who I go and talk to and they are really nice at helping meet my needs in what I need. Good Luck
Any college should have assisstance for students with disabilities. Check with the college of your choice for more information. I am pretty sure they are required by law to meet your needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment