Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Can anyone give me advice on rolling and sleeping?

My son has just started to roll from back to front and he gets very distressed on his tummy. I am worried that he will roll onto his tummy and not be able to breathe. Can anyone offer advice on keeping him on his back while he is sleeping? I have an anti roll pillow bu t he just flips over it. I have also tried cloth nappies and baby towels. Any sugestions would be appreciated.Can anyone give me advice on rolling and sleeping?
When my son rolled over one day, I was so excited and proud. Then came night time when I realized that I was afraid of him rolling over on his tummy and not being able to breathe. We tried things to keep him from rolling over (the same methods you have) and also asked the pediatrician about what to do. She told us that we shouldn't be worried because when a baby is old and skilled enough to roll over by himself, then the risk of him not being able to breathe while on his tummy drops.





I was still worried so I bought something that was the BEST investment we had made baby wise. We got this monitor that is called the Bebe Sounds Angel Care movement monitor. It has a pad that goes underneath their mattress in their crib and it has a monitor that goes in your room. If the baby stops breathing for a few seconds, an alarm goes off and you can go check on your baby immediately before any harm happens. This thing was a God send for me because I was so paranoid about SIDS. We used it until he was a toddler! It also doubles as a regular baby monitor which is cool. You can set it so it beeps every single time your baby breathes, so you can keep track of his breathing, or you can have it sound an alarm that he hasn't breathed in however many seconds. It allowed me to have nights filled with sleep instead of worry. It was about $79 bucks but still the best thing we ever bought!





If you can't afford that for some peace of mind, then I guess you should trust the fact that most pediatricians say not to worry. I think putting things in his crib to prevent him from rolling over could be more dangerous than letting him roll over on a flat mattress....instead of baby towels and cloth diapers. I think that would pose more of a risk than letting him roll over on his mattress. I know it's scary being a mom to a baby that young! Good luck! :)Can anyone give me advice on rolling and sleeping?
My daughter does the same thing. She now LOVES to sleep on her tummy. She used to hate it too, but got used to it, I guess.


I worried about her when she first started doing it. I would wake up in the middle of the night and flip her back onto her back.


But, she would just flip herself back over a 1/2 hour later or so. So, I learned to settle down.


As long as he has good head control and can push himself up (like doing those little mini push-ups), he'll be fine.


My daughter can do all of that and when she sleeps on her tummy, her head is turned so that she's sleeping on the side of her head. She's fine.


Just make sure you don't put anything else in the crib.


No blankets, no toys, nothing.


He'll be just fine.
Have you tried a sleep positioner?
I to use to worry about this when my daughter started doing it i was affriad she would suffercate and was constanly checking on her i found that placing pillows on either side of lower body helped keep her in place or tucking blanket around under her arms and lower body but u will find baby rolling over on to stomach to sleep more freuent now he will get used to sleeping on his belly but untill he dose when he gets uncomfertable just roll him back over onto his back i know its hard on the both of you but he will eventually get used to it
Once you baby starts rolling forward then he can roll back. You are actually better off not having anything with him in the cot to stop him otherwise he may get caught in them and may not be able to roll back. My suggest would be just to let him get to sleep which ever way he feels is best and then roll him on to his back. Both of my kids where stomach sleepers and I was forever trying to roll them back to their backs but you can only do so much. Just keep an eye on him %26amp; he should be ok. Hope this has been of some help. Good luck.
BIMD, I was told that if the baby is strong enough to roll over to its tummy, its strong enough to roll back. It just hasnt learned how to yet.


If you keep turning him, he wont get to learn as quickly as if you had to do it himself.


Just keep an eye out for him and he'll be fine.


You might try showing him how to roll over, where do his legs need to be, his arm position, so that he gets the hang ot it quickly.


Also, try only rolling him halfway over, let him get there the rest of the way.


A baby will fuss and fight those forst few days after learning to get from back to friont, (must be aggrevating not to get what you want so early in life), but will learn it in just a few days.





also, answer one is right .. keep as much out of the crib as possible, you do't want things for him to rol over, under, pull over, that would cause distress.


Enjoy and good health to both of you.


PS... If things have changed so much, please advise me, as one day I'l be the granny( not to soon though). ;o}

No comments:

Post a Comment