Tuesday, November 22, 2011

I want to buy a gasoline powered van, take out the engine and replace it with a diesel engine. Can I? Advice?

I want to buy an old vw bus from the 60s or so and tour the country. I want to switch the engine to a diesel that way i could convert it to run on biodiesel. I would convert it straight from gasoline to biodiesel, but this is not possible. Biodiesel costs a lot less and is good for the environment. Does anybody have any advice?I want to buy a gasoline powered van, take out the engine and replace it with a diesel engine. Can I? Advice?
It is really more logical to just find a van that is a diesel,,because you can really get in to some money doing this job,,it takes a lot of time,,a whole lot of patience,,a good tool set,,1 or 2 good helper,s,,and a good part,s supply,,probably by the tome you get done you will wish you had just went out and bought one that was a diesel,,hope this help,s.I want to buy a gasoline powered van, take out the engine and replace it with a diesel engine. Can I? Advice?
you can get a VW deasiel van from the same era, there are lots of cheap ones that are newer too. bio deasel is easy you can filter mc donalds grease they will pay you to take it filter it well though you can go 40 % deasel 60 % trans fats and run it streaght. cleans the engine too. you can take the ratio even up too 1-100 but then you need a better iggnitiant in the fuel. the great thing about pre fuel ingection is a carborator is easier to alter the gas air mixture being sucked into the engine. this will make the fuel burn more cleaner or complete
Since they never made a 60's diesel bus, its all going to be custom, they did make audi, vw diesels in the eighty's, think id try to adapt but those got 50mpg because of weight and other factors and u want something heavier,also they were front engined motors and you want rear, those old diesels neededd alot but only got u 10 mpg more than something heavier, to me biodiesel, isnt the way to go, your using enuff food, to feed a starving country to feed your car, soundslike to me, we have to go solar/ nueclear/ or hydrogen, but to put nueclear/ hydrogen in the publics hands is asking for trouble
Biodiesel actually doesn't cost a lot less. It costs less if you cook it yourself, but you're not going to be doing that at every hotel you stop at.
i don't think a regular diesel engine will bolt up to the transaxle too much time and technology has transpired since the buses came out....i had a VW superbeetle once..read the whole ';Compl3ate idiots guide to VW'; from John Muir.
damn hippies...if you dont already have a basic idea as to how to go about this, probably not a good idea. stop before you hurt yourself.





Officer Barbrady: ';Eric, you can't keep 65 people locked up in your basement.';





Cartman: ';They arent people, the're hippies.';
Buy a diesel powered van. it's cheaper than going thru all the mechanical stuff.
It will be much easier on your pocketbook to just go ahead and buy a diesel van. Too much stuff to have to swap-out.
Do you have any mechanical experience/fabrication experience/deep pockets? Any 2 and you could do it, slowly if you have 3 it will go fast. If not, you will have to learn and earn! I am doing a conversion right now on a 60s Travelall here:





http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthrea鈥?/a>





I had all 3, at least I thought I had enough dough, but ran out when I realized I needed to change my front axle or have the exhaust hang down below the frame rails, I am close, but its not cigar time yet.


It is a worthy and kewl project, but on a scale from easy to hard(10 hardest) it is a 8. You will have accomplished alot and should be proud of your HUGE accomplishment!


Good Luck


wanderer

No comments:

Post a Comment