Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Can anyone give me any advice on growing a Musa Basjoo banana tree? I want to know your experience with it.?

I'm in zone 6. I am planting it outside.Can anyone give me any advice on growing a Musa Basjoo banana tree? I want to know your experience with it.?
I love Musa Basjoo, probably the cold hardiest banana that exists. Whilst I get freezes, going to 0掳F, in Zone 6, you may get down to -10掳, which will provide a somewhat tougher deal.





They typically do best if they're not cut down to the soil each wintertime, so you'll need to focus on winter protection. There are several methods that you can use to protect your plant. I'll start with an outline of the sort of protection that you may wish to create, as this will be the biggest challenge that you;ll get with this plant.





You can build a wooden frame around your plant, as a small house for it for the winter. You can then cover this frame with polythene, or some other covering. If it's breathable, then it really helps to prevent air stagnation, especially if there's allot of moisture around.





You you wrap the trunk with hessian sacking, gardener's fleece as well as infill with really dry Fall tree leaves too. These trap air, which works as a perfect insulator.





If the 'trunk' gets cut back by freezes, then you'll have also protected the roots, so you're likely to get sprouts off it, and these babies will grow quickly, once spring arrives.





OK, winter protection methodology over, Musa Basjoo loves tons of water and feeding. I always work allot of well rotted manure into the planting hole, providing nutrients for the future. You can supplement this by adding some around the plant, during the growth period.





You'll do well to add even more fertilizer as well, at least weekly. You can make manure 'teas' that will feed your plants well or the fertilizer of your choice.





In autumn, expect to take off the leaves from around the plant, so that you can wrap it up snugly for winter. This is one of my least favorite gardening jobs ever! Aim to not let any freezing conditions ever touch the plant, so that you don't get any potential rot.

No comments:

Post a Comment